Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Another Clairfontaine Review

No not another one. Just kidding. This time around I have a note pad and a notebook. They both are the same size, 148 mm x 210 mm. The difference is really in the binding method hence, their names. Note pads are bound on top and flip up and down. Notebooks are bound on one side and flip side to side.

To start off the review I'll describe the stationery. First the note pad then the notebook. The pad has the three folds on the cover which facilitate keeping the cover back. The construction is solid and the backing is stiff. This one is black and beautiful with gridded paper. The notebook is spiral bound but not with the kind that wraps around but the kind that passes through meeting another metal ring. The paper is lined with non-college rule spacing. It is the spacing I like;small writers may find it too large.


Notepad





Feel: Smooth, even for scratchy nibs.

Feathering: None

Bleed-through: No, even less than with Rhodia paper. Only the most sensitive will care about this.

Aesthetics: Simple and attractive. Serious black cover for business. White logo at the bottom of the cover and at the rear.

Durability: The pages need to be firmly grasped to tear them out. The back pad is stiff and the entire note pad is sturdy.

Portability: This is serious writing pad. It isn't extremely portable and does not fit into pockets. This pad will rest in a portfolio, school bag, laptop bag or desk. It is meant for serious business.

Uses: Best suited for school and business. I personally prefer an 8'' x 11'' size but I'll take this slightly smaller notebook. Can be used in meetings and for lecture note taking. I'd stay away from games on this one. Too expensive for that sort of activity.

Hack ability: Yes, but I wont offer any ideas or links for this one.

Overall Thoughts
I'll save this one for after the other review.

Note Book




Feel: Smooth, even for scratchy nibs.

Feathering: None

Bleed-through: No, even less than with Rhodia paper. Only the most sensitive will care about this.

Aesthetics: Orange and awesome. White logo at the bottom of the cover and at the rear are the usual transgressions. There is also a margin at the top and bottom. I particularly don't mind the header but the footers annoy me. I don't use the last line for anything important just to signify pages, or study notes.

Durability: The pages need to be firmly grasped to tear them out. They don't come off clean. The back pad is soft and the entire note pad is flexible. I would say it is well made but definitely not stiff.

Portability: This is serious notebook. It isn't extremely portable and does not fit into pockets. This pad will rest in a school bag or my laptop bag. I would use it for note taking at one of my extracurriculars or during a lecture.

Uses: This is best suited for school. I personally prefer an 8'' x 11'' size but I'll take this slightly smaller notebook. It can be used in meetings and for lecture note taking. No games on this notebook. It is too much of a school notebook for that.

Hack ability: Yes, I wouldn't though. I think it isn't worth the effort; why fight nature. It is meant for note taking.

Overall Thoughts
Both notebooks are fountain pen safe and probably are suited for serious school or business writing. Perfect size for lecture note taking and I'd even write personal letters with these. I've never purchased these particular books but I'm fond of the Rhodia versions of both. Even then, I prefer 8'' x 11' for business and school purposes. Occasionally, I'll have need for something this small but I clearly favor larger sizes. Would I purchase these, yes and no. Yes, I like them and would purchase if I found them on sale. No, because I have a strong preference for Rhodia products. Again, I like big books better( I feel a crude joke coming on;)......

Details:
  1. No comparison paper for the feel test
  2. Subjective methods used.
  3. Bias in favor of Rhodia products.
  4. *These books were provided by Exaclair.
The Testing Cast in Full Glory
From the left: Pelikan m400 in White Tortoise, Lamy Safari in Flame, Pelikan m200 in Black and Blue, Pelikan 140 in Black and Green classic colors, Sharpie in Black and Grey classic colors

0 comments: