Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Noodlers Antietam




JetPens supplied me with some Noodler's ink after stumbling onto my blog about 1 month ago.

So, here is the review:
Antietam was host to one of the bloodiest battles during the American civil war. This ink, I think, is intended to be a blood red. I don't think it is. To me; it appears to be an orange with red tendencies. It looks like the color of blood after you wash it out of a white shirt. It doesn't quite come out but stays orange.

The ink shades a very nice and vibrant variation. It goes from the blood red color to to a brilliant orange. It is a very quick drying ink and in a my broad pens dries very quickly. Even with that drying quality it, creeps from nibs frequently.

Now, orange is my favorite color but I'll be honest; this isn't my favorite color. I don't mind it but it straddles a strange fence. I don't like bright reds and most reds are inks that would never see the inside of my piston fillers. Antietam isn't orange enough for me to like and isn't a dark enough red for me to be okay with. This equals a color I couldn't use. I'm a fan of quite a few oranges. The diamine pumpkin, a neon orange, is the most flagrant example of an orange I have. I use that color very much. The fact that this orange is far too red is a problem for me on white paper.

This color takes a very strange turn when on a cream paper. I wish I had a sample to show you; the one I prepped was destroyed by a spill. The orange mellows out a little and blends with the red to make a medium fall leaf color of an orange. The best way to describe this is it browns up some. So, yes on cream: no on white.

Still! I don't think you get it yet? It is like the kid sister of one of your friends. She blossoms while you are at college, uni for some. Then upon your return you find that something has changed. Then it dawns on you that she is now a beautiful flower. You shouldn't even be looking at her but you have to admit she is attractive to you. She has always had a crush on you and only now can you even consider her. Yet you don't. This is the dilemma I face.

On cream paper, I love this ink. I don't really use cream paper. I work too much and only use white non-fp paper that I force my thin-nibbed pens upon in a careless manner. Thus, I mostly write on papers that Antietam would not be pleasing to me causing me to cast this ink aside only for the pleasures of leisurely correspondence or personal writing. I, being a young man, cannot bear the financial burden of inks that cannot be used at work and at play. I get away with every single ink I own even the bright pumpkin orange from diamine. My employers don't mind and resign it to be one of my eccentricities. Finally I say, this ink will not be one I add to my collection for constant purchase.

EDIT:
If you would like to purchase antietam from Jet Pens, click here.

0 comments: